Finishing out the year of tracking what I did! I’m really glad I kept up with all this stuff even if no one was interested in reading it. Also I’m dying from jet lag right now and need something to keep me awake until a respectable hour (10pm).
- Norwegian Wood: When Murakami’s newest book came out it seemed like the right time to read the stuff that made him acclaimed. Liked this more upon reflection than while I was actually reading it.
- I read a couple of good books to familiarize myself before/during my trip to India: The Beautiful and the Damned: A Portrait of the New India, The White Tiger, and Nine Lives: In Search of the Sacred in Modern India. The trio provided a great introduction to the cultural, religious and economic factors that form modern India.
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? Reads like a book of blog posts. I think I’m expecting too much from these celebrity essay books.
- Maphead: Written by former Jeopardy champ Ken Jennings, a delightful easy little read especially if you like looking at maps/traveling/reading snappy informative writing.
- I also re-read Born to Run because I love it so much.
Watched + Star Ratings (Out of Five)
- Movies on the plane: Crazy Stupid Love (****), Footloose (zero), The Help (*), One Day (slept through)
- Movies in theater: Shame (****), Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (***)
- Movies at home: Beginners (*****), Attack the Block (****), Conan O’Brien Can’t Stop (***), The Trip (***)
- I figured out that my favorite music genre is anything I can do a two-step shuffle to while holding a glass of wine and making dinner. So the past two months were mostly M83 and Youth Lagoon.
- Highlights include Caesar salad at The Majestic, pork belly nachos at Black Jack, the half smoke at Komi, and my christmas gift from Adam, a bottle of Laphroaig.
- Variety of social events, Adam’s 30th birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, going to India, jet lag.
Also while I was in India I decided this camera is going right in the trash. Know anyone who wants a DSLR with a pop-up flash that needs to be held down with electric tape?